Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Generic brand as good as Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover?

Eye makeup remover is an essential item for every makeup user because if you’re going to put it on your eye, you need a way to take it off. There are multiple types on the market including cleansing oils, makeup removing creams, liquids, and towelettes. I have tried each of those types and I find that makeup removing liquids are most convenient for everyday use because of the great quality and affordable price. In my opinion, makeup removing creams never seemed to remove my makeup (especially waterproof makeup) as thoroughly as liquids or cleansing oils.

As for cleansing oils, they are great for removing makeup from your whole face, but not wonderful for touchups. Cleansing oils remove makeup when the oil comes in contact with water. You rub the cleansing oil over your entire face to loosen the makeup then rinse with water to turn the oil into a milky colored liquid that easily rinses away along with the makeup on your face. Your face is no longer covered in oil and is free of makeup, but because it cannot be used for touchups, I don’t find it to be my essential make up removing agent.

I find that towelettes are not worth my money for everyday use because they are pricier than a liquid remover. You can use up a whole packet of towelettes faster than a bottle of liquid remover. Most of the time I don’t even use the whole towelette and have to throw it away.

Liquid removers are the best. Unlike cleansing oils, they are great for touchups, all you have to do is dip a q-tip into a liquid remover to clean up any mistakes you’ve made on your eyeshadow or if you’ve smeared your eyeliner. Unlike towelettes, you can use as little or as much product as you want with a cotton pad or cotton ball, whichever you prefer. Most importantly, it thoroughly gets off all the makeup on your eye.

I’ve used multiple brands of eye makeup removing liquids including Almay, Maybelline, Sonia Kashuk, Lancome, and Clinique. Some of those brands suck, and the ones that worked well cost more and work just as great as the Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. It really gets off all my makeup, doesn’t break me out, and does not sting like some other brands. It’s worked so well that there’s even a generic Target Up & Up brand making an eye makeup remover that is supposedly comparable to the Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. I was really hesitant to try it out because I really love my Neutrogena eye makeup remover and didn’t want to buy something that didn’t work. On the Target website, the 5.5 oz Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover sells for $6.49, while the 5.5 oz Up & Up brand Eye Makeup Remover sells for $4.54. That’s a difference of $1.95. Who doesn’t like saving a little where they can?


The Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover claims to remove even waterproof eye makeup. Let’s see how this Up & Up brand Eye Makeup Remover compares.

To test these two eye makeup removers out, I used an eyeshadow from my 15th Anniversary Urban Decay palette, the waterproof Maybelline Lash Stiletto mascara in Very Black, Mac Fluidline in Blacktrack, and Milani Liquif'Eye Metallic Eyeliner in Black.

I rubbed the eyeshadow, Milani eyeliner, Mac gel liner, and the waterproof mascara on my left hand to test the Neutrogena eye makeup remover.

This is what my hand looked like after one swipe of the Neutrogena eye makeup remover...

This is what my hand looked like after two swipes of the Neutrogena eye makeup remover. Pretty good, let's see how the Up & Up brand compares..

Right hand to test the Up & Up brand, swatches in the same order.

After one swipe of the Up & Up brand

After two swipes of the Up & Up Eye Makeup Remover.

Looks like the Up & Up brand Eye Makeup Remover removed all the eye makeup just as great as the Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover after the second swipe. Of course swiping my hand twice was just for testing and demonstration purposes, when you actually remove your eye makeup you'll need to swipe more times to thoroughly remove it all. 

To use, I shake up the makeup remover to mix the ingredients all together. I use a cotton ball and swipe over my eye a few times, then flip the cotton ball to the clean side to wipe away the left over makeup. Waterproof mascara can be a little bit more difficult to remove, you just have to hold the remover there longer so it can penetrate and break down the mascara more. Afterward, I wash my face with a face cleanser to remove remaining makeup remover residue. Then all your eye makeup is gone!

Next time you're at a Target and need a makeup remover, try the Up & Up eye makeup remover instead of the Neutrogena Oil-Free Makeup Remover to save yourself a few bucks! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment